The 9th Annual New York State Safe Patient Handling Conference
Albany Capital Center, 55 Eagle Street Albany NY 12207
Albany Capital Center
2017 Conference Format:
The popularity of this conference is largely due to the hands-on, interactive learning experience provided. As always, we have listened to feedback from past conference attendees. You asked for more time with vendors which we have worked into the agenda. You asked for more time learning new SPH strategies and the equipment needed to create a safe environment for patients and healthcare workers, therefore; we have less lecture time and more hands on time. New this year, technology will be used to facilitate the attendance sign-in and out process. Your name tag will have a code that will be scanned to indicate your attendance at a session.
Conference attendees will register in one of three tracks.
Track 1 – Long Term Care/Sub Acute Rehab
Track 2 – Acute Care
Track 3 – Caring for People with Developmental Disabilities or Mental Health Disorders- Sold Out
The same speakers will be consistent throughout the track. The sole purpose of the tracks is to facilitate networking within each healthcare specialty and allow discussions to be pertinent to their work setting. If your preferred track is sold out, you are encouraged to register for another track since all attendees will be exposed to the same equipment and similar scenarios.
Due to occupancy laws each track will be limited to 110 people. For this reason you will be required to stay in the track you selected.
Each Track will rotate through three different equipment “labs”. Each “lab” will focus on certain types of patient movement and equipment options available.
• Session 1 – Bed mobility (repositioning, wound care, ADL Tasks, catheter care etc.)
• Session 2 – Transfers utilizing full mechanical lifts, ceiling lifts and lateral transfers
• Session 3 – Special/unusual events (Codes, car extrications, falls in bathrooms or tight spaces etc.)
Built into this year’s agenda is ample time to visit vendors, network with peers, consult with instructors or attend a discussion group. The discussion groups will provide an opportunity to learn more about a specific topic in a small group. The group will have a facilitator to lead the discussion and foster problem solving by the group members.
Learners are encouraged to bring issues they are facing with their Safe Patient Handling Program. Learners in each track will be able to assess and improve their facility’s Safe Patient Handling program with the aid of the instructors and other participants. In the end learners will be able to use the knowledge gained throughout the conference to build a successful and sustainable program while complying with the NYS Safe Patient Handling Law.
Learning objectives and a more detailed description of the sessions are posted here. Session Descriptions
Note: Due to space constraints, attendance will be strictly limited to 330. Register now to ensure your seat!
• Understand elements of a SPH program required by the NYS SPH Law and associated compliance deadlines.
• Describe why a functional SPH committee is essential to a successful SPH program.
• Understand why accurate, timely patient assessments are key to a successful SPH program.
• Understand that sound SPH principles can be transferred to any healthcare or community setting.
• Learn how to identify gaps in your SPH program and the means and procedures to report identified gaps.
• Use a patient movement algorithm that is based on patient functional mobility, regardless of the
healthcare or community setting.
• Describe the association between early mobilization of patients and clinical outcomes
• Identify environmental barriers in your workplace and develop mitigation strategies
• Troubleshoot conducting a safe transfer given unusual circumstances
• Identify associated risks of a transfer of a dependent individual from a vehicle
• Develop strategies of a safe transfer of an individual from the floor.
• Identify needed equipment and process changes in order to implement a successful and sustainable SPH
This conference is suitable for all levels of SPH experience
NOTE: It is the intent of the conference organizers to provide a fully accessible learning environment, suitable for all learners. If you have any special needs please provide the information on the registration form. The conference center is ADA compliant.
Cancellation Policy: Registration fees are Non-Refundable but a coworker may take your place, using the transfer process on Zippyreg. In the unlikely event that the conference is cancelled due to weather or other unexpected event, the conference will be rescheduled and registrations will be applied to the rescheduled conference.